Monday 6 October 2014

Chia Almond Strawberry Porridge

Breakfast

For some time now, as I am reading about all the good things to eat, chia keeps popping up. However when looking for recipes, mostly it is a little extra ingredient, just like an after thought. Somehow there are not many recipes that have chia as the main player, or if they do, the thing looks just slimy and unpleasant. Slimy is just not the thing for me. 

During my next stock up trip to health food store I look for chia. I was surprised to find it right there on the shelf. I picked it up and as I was standing there, looking at the label, the price, trying to decide, a man, of Somali origin, came along with a shop assistant. He too was looking for chia! How now?!? We got talking. His doctor had suggested he should start eating healthier, to avoid memory loss, to reduce weight and to sleep better. And chia was on his list .... Surely, somebody comes all the way from Eastleight, from Little Mogadishu to buy chia .... in my part of Nairobi .... Hmmm ... I bought chia. 

I looked through websites. Pondered over next step. Soak in water it says ... Add milk and yogurt (and I don't eat those things!!) it says .... Add almond milk it says ... Based on my calculations, if I have almond milk I can not have an other nut or seed .... I did soak in water. It was grayish. Tasted. It tasted tasteless, flat completely. Not something to look forward to to start the day! I left the taste, the feeling, the texture sort of hanging about in my mind. How to make it palatable? How to make a lovely breakfast?

 226 grams strawberry blended
30 grams of chia milled
Mix. Leave to soak.
After 15 minutes add 27 grams of milled almond 
Mix and enjoy. 
It gives the stomach a gentle caress.


No comments:

Post a Comment