Tuesday 23 September 2014

Flax seed and apple porridge

Breakfast

Yesterday morning I finished all the walnuts that I had. I thought I would get around to buy some more along the day, but that did not happen. So, from last night I started thinking what to have for breakfast. In my experience, the best way not to make any errors in eating (due to lack of focus resulting from empty stomach!!), is to know during the previous meal what I will eat during the next. I had almond flour, but I had already done some breakfasts with almond flour. Also, I thought that its nutritional value is low compared to calories in it, so I did not want to use that. I did have also pumpkin seeds to mill into flour, but I have been eating pumpkin seeds nearly every day, so that was out, too. While I had tosted and then milled flax seeds some weeks ago and sprinkled them on salads, I felt that this is a good seed that I have clearly not used for well over a week. "How about a porridge of flax seeds?", I said to myself. I was a bit apprehensive. In my childhood, whenever we would have a serious stomach upset, my mum would make this slimy tasteless, yet yukky liquid by boiling flax seed in a bit of water. We would need to take some spoonfuls of it to help to heal the stomach. But a yukky slimy grayish liquid, when trying to not throw up, is just not the thing to take.... I bravely put aside my childhood memories and got milling my flax seed, ready to head outside my comfort zone. 


57 grams flax seed milled
Add boiling water (about a cup) little by little. Keep mixing it in and allowing the flax seed to soak in the water. Depending on how solid or soft porridge you want, add the amount of water that gives you the right consistency. Preferably do this in a metal bowl that is sitting in an other bigger bowl that is half way filled with boiling water. Sort of like bain-marié, but not on a fire.  
Leave it to continue soaking for 15 minutes.
In mean time grate 2 medium sized apples (226 grams).
Mix flax seed porridge and grated apple.

All along until this point I was still very skeptical.I was trying to imagine what to do should it turn out to be absolutely disgusting. And the time came to taste this 'outside comfort zone' mixture. To my surprise, to my GREAT surprise, this was an amazingly great tasting porridge! A bit warm, a bit nutty, a lot of apple taste, and really soft and pleasant in the mouth.

Warning, though, with the quantities as given above, this is a REALLY HEAVY meal. I was 2/3 done when I was suddenly very full and could not eat more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment